Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Ultimate Father

I sat in amazement as Mikayla played the piano and sang for Church. As she gained confidence, her voice filled the sanctuary and her fingers seemed to dance across the keyboard. This was only the second time I had heard her play and sing and the first time I had ever heard her play this particular piece. My first thought was “Wow!” My second was “How did she learn to do that?” And then, “Praise God! She is worshiping in spirit and truth!”

As a homeschooling mom, I tend to believe subconsciously that my children will only learn if I teach them. I think we all put that on ourselves from time to time; thus the reason that we get overwhelmed every once in a while. However, the real object of our home education is to inspire our children to learn on their own.
I think that one of the things that amazed me most about Mik’s playing was that we don’t even have a piano. She must have practiced on the piano at the church where we have our co-op on Fridays – and we only go there once a week. In this instance, she had learned something on her own without us even providing the resources. It reminded me that God is alive and active in our children’s lives whether we are involved or not.

“Train up a child in the way he (or she) should go, and when he is older, he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

Now, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. We did have a piano once and she took piano lessons; so she had learned some of the fundamentals. She also has access to a guitar, which she plays semi-regularly. We also sing worship songs at home and listen to worship music in the car when we go places. Many of the “pieces” were there for her to be inspired (by God) to put them together.

I think that is my point, which gives me great hope and peace for the future. That is that if we but point our children in the right direction and do our best to give them the tools, God will draw them to Himself. God will fill in the gaps where we were inadequate and provide the resources when we cannot. After all, whose children are they anyway? As the ultimate Father, He is at work, always, preparing those for whom He has purpose.

Lord, may I never forget that You are drawing all unto Yourself, including my children. Help me cooperate with You in Your purpose for them.

No comments: